Mike Cernovich Gorilla Mindset Review
Gorilla Mindset is one of those books that needs to be read multiple times in order to take full effect.
It’s like that with a lot of books but this is especially true with Gorilla Mindset because this book is far more than just a book.
Some see it as just a book or a “how to” book.
Others see it as manual to get your mindset back on track.
I’m going one step further and telling you that the purpose of this book is programming.
Gorilla Mindset is a story of programming where you take full control of your life.
What is Gorilla Mindset about?
Gorilla Mindset is about YOU because it’s up to YOU to change your life.
YOU have the power and that power lies in your mindset.
No one ever teaches you the power of mindset. You never really hear about it from your parents, friends, or teachers growing up.
Instead, mindset is just this sort of nebulous concept that’s floated out there with cookie cutter phrases you hear growing up:
“Attitude is everything!”
“Think like a winner!”
That’s all great advice but people often need something more specific.
How exactly do you do that?
That’s the big picture question and that’s where Gorilla Mindset comes in.
Sure other books have been written on the topic of mindset but Cernovich’s book is really the first one to talk about it through the lens of long-term programming and action.
This book is very much driven by action. Cernovich encourage his audience to write in the book and mark it up. He even leaves blank spaces for some of the exercises.
Who will benefit from reading Gorilla Mindset?
Anyone and everyone but let’s dig deeper.
From what I’ve seen, there are 2 types of people that will really benefit from reading Gorilla Mindset.
1. Blank Slates– These are the individuals (usually younger) who are just starting off. This is probably the ideal audience because a blank slate is easiest to work with. There aren’t as many bad habits to unwind. There also aren’t as many responsibilities. A blank slate can fully dedicate himself to building his foundation (a powerful mindset). Truth be told, one of the best things an 18 year old kid can do is buy a copy of Gorilla Mindset.
2. Redemption Stories– These are the individuals who are a little more established (and likely older). When you don’t actively keep tabs on your mindset, bad habits and negativity are inevitable. This book is their ticket to redemption sooner rather than later. It was for me…
Why I read Gorilla Mindset and what I got out of it…
Last year, I decided to read Gorilla Mindset because I was as a point in my life when I was looking for something more.
Deep down I was not happy with my life and I was searching for my next move.
I was living in Las Vegas at the time and I wanted out.
I couldn’t focus on anything and the monster was slowly starting to take over.
Both my mindset and my body were starting to break down.
At the time, Mike and I weren’t really on good terms but I always said never to deny myself the opportunity to learn from anyone… no matter the situation or who the individual was.
So I made the decision to buy a paperback copy of Mike’s book.
This included taking notes, underlining important parts in red marker, and bookmarking a bunch of pages with post-its.
I finished reading it over a 2 day period. It wasn’t a magic pill because the work didn’t stop with the book. That’s where it started.
I reviewed Gorilla Mindset once in the morning (during my morning cardio)and once at night (before bed).
I integrated the habits into my life and slowly my mindset changed for the better and because of this every aspect of my life began to improve.
Here is what Gorilla Mindset helped me accomplish over the past year. It will do the same for you.
1. Zero anger (emotional control)– Prior to reading Gorilla Mindset, I had always had a thin layer of anger inside me. Around late 2015/early 2016, it was becoming very apparent. I would say since March 2016, I have not felt any anger at all. I also have not felt any jealousy because…
2. Re-framing– Before Gorilla Mindset, I fell into the bad habit of looking at losses as losing. If I failed at something, I would get down on myself for failing. Cernovich’s book helped me become very skilled at re-framing losses into learning experiences. “This isn’t a loss. This is a learning experience.”
3. Affirmations– One could argue that Gorilla Mindset actually helped save my life. Long story short, I have a severe nut allergy and accidentally ate something loaded with nuts in the batter. When my heart was exploding and I was going into shock, what did I do? I remembered the power of affirmations. “I can beat this.” “I’m gonna beat this.” And I did.
4. Better relationships– I’ve talked about how my mother treated me as a kid. I guess I never quite got over it and that was probably the root cause of the anger I had buried deep down. However, that’s gone forever now. Things are great.
5. “The realest thing you got is the future.”– I always had this fixation with the past, both the good times and the bad. This is a potential pitfall because we tend to focus on the bad times. It DOES NOT matter because the past is over and done with. The present depends upon the past. That leaves the future. The future is the realest thing we’ve got because the future is 100 % in our control. We hold it in our hands.
6. Ruthless Focus– I left Las Vegas and moved back to North Carolina. Now I am at peace and I am fully focused. What am I focused on? The Future. Gorilla Mindset has helped me out tremendously because it enabled me to focus solely on the future. In that end, that’s all that matters.