Social Skills

The Odessa Tapes: Part V (The #1 Way to Get Powerful Friends)

Power is very predictable… the same people tend to attain it.

Welcome to the fifth and final installment of The Odessa Tapes series.

I truly enjoyed my time in Odessa, Texas.

It gave me a lot of time to myself.

I was able to catch up on some reading.

More importantly, I was able to further map out the future.

Big things are coming for Strength By Sonny.

The final topic of this mini-project is the #1 way to get powerful friends at any age.

This ties into everything I have talked about on this site so far.

Your ability to communicate and relate with others must be at your core.

You need social skills.

Solid social skills are a fast ticket to an enjoyable lifestyle.

Friends, women, associates… solid interpersonal skills will get you there.

It’s not what you know but who you know.

Powerful friends can get you anything you want in life.

They can open doors.

They can grease the wheels for you.

They can make important introductions.

A simple association with them can turn a nobody into a somebody.

Do you know what power is?

Power is influence.

A powerful individual is one who people naturally react to.

There is an element of universal respect at play.

Power comes in all shapes and sizes.

Men of all ages and backgrounds exhibit power.

However, certain patterns tend to reveal themselves time and time again.

Age and Experience usually bring power.

This goes for any social situation or institutional-like atmosphere.

Think back to elementary school.

Who were the students who had the most power?

The cool fifth and sixth graders.

What about high school? Who had the most power?

The cool Juniors and Seniors.

College? Same thing.

What about after school aka the real world?

It’s usually the guys who are in their 40’s (and beyond) who are killing it in life.

No matter what stage in life or age group you look at, age and experience are usually the prerequisites for relative power over a particular population.

Why do age and experience equal status?

It is because there is a certain vibe that seasoned veterans give off.

People cannot help but have a certain respect for those who “have been there done that.”

We recognize those who have truly walked the walk.

Those individuals exhibit a certain calmness that universally attracts people.

The world is a confusing place.

Many people stress themselves out by simply trying to find their place in the Universe.

This is not the case with older, more established people who know exactly where they stand.

While the masses operate in chaos mode, constantly questioning themselves, the powerful cruise through life getting what they want when they want.

How do you get powerful friends?

We have already established that the powerful usually have a combination of age and experience which gives them the power in the first place.

My solution for you is to embrace your status as the Young Buck.

In other words, in order to befriend the older more established people, you want to be viewed as the young up and comer.

You want to be viewed as a source of enormous potential.

Ideally, you want a powerful individual to look at you and think, “I see a younger version of myself” or “I see a little bit of myself.”

The second best thing is for them to look at you think of you as the future.

In others words, when you are their age, you will be in their shoes.

Understand that the powerful love taking someone under their wing and teaching them the way.

This happens a lot because the powerful do not want to be forgotten.

They have a tendency to want to leave a legacy.

The most efficient way to do this is to take an individual who shows a lot of promise and mold them into someone worthy of eventually passing on the torch to.

This is how craftsmen operated in The Middle Ages.

The master craftsman would take on an apprentice and show him the way.

This master apprentice relationship has been repeated throughout history.

It will continue to be repeated because it is a natural tendency of human relations… particularly among the powerful.

Click play to hear me elaborate on the powerful and the benefits of fulfilling the Young Buck role. I will include various examples from different stages of my life to further illustrate my point. I will also cite several examples in film. This is the final podcast in The Odessa Tapes series. Enjoy!

If you want to download the podcast to your device click hereTo stream the podcast just click the “play” button shaped like an arrow.

0:55- The importance of age and experience.

1:31- What makes the powerful attractive?

1:45- The easiest way to get powerful friends.

2:19- What makes potential attractive?

2:57- Humanity is obsessed with potential.

3:26- How the powerful leave legacies.

4:29- Film Example #1 Wall Street

5:32- Film Example #2 Star Wars

6:15- You learn the way to do things… fast.

7:04- It gives you automatic status.

7:40- Sonny’s school days examples.

10:32- Powerful friends help you mature faster.

10:59- How I established an elite social circle in Austin.

12:13- Confidence and a greater understanding of self.

13:04- How befriending the powerful has impacted my life.

14:30- It’s all about universal respect.

The Odessa Tapes: Part IV (How to Get a Girl to Fall in Love With You)

The Top 10 Bodybuilding Myths Exposed- Part I

1. August 3, 2014 at 10:46 am — Reply

Great post Sonny, as usual! I have a question though, why didn’t you talk about money as a factor of power? A killer financial situation DEFINITELY gives influence and respect. It would have been appreciable to elaborate on that and to give some tools on how to get these type of friends.

• August 4, 2014 at 5:54 am — Reply

Because in the early stages of life (especially your school days) money does not matter as much.

Also money does not mean anything if you cannot network and are unable to relate with others.

Example: that little kid who shot up Isla Vista a few months back… No one gave a shit that he had a BMW. No one respected him… all he brought to the table was being a rich kid.

• August 4, 2014 at 9:28 am — Reply

I don’t know about America, but in France where I live, and in Morocco where I lived, money did matter, even in the early ages of high school.

But I totally agree that money alone don’t do shit.

• August 5, 2014 at 3:27 am — Reply

Yes. Outside the US I could imagine it mattering a little more.

2. Andras
    August 3, 2014 at 6:08 pm — Reply

If you haven’t considered it yet, consider putting all the audio on itunes so everyone can download more easily (and automatically)

love the content though

• August 4, 2014 at 5:50 am — Reply

I will look into this.

3. Tim
    August 5, 2014 at 6:13 pm — Reply

Hey Sonny, unrelated to this article but would love to hear your opinion/advice about this.

As a very skinny guy (5′ 11″ 130lbs) who has just started training recently, I stumbled across what’s known as the maximum genetic potential based on wrist and ankle circumference. Unfortunately I have probably some of the smallest wrist circumference for a man (only 5.6″) and that means the best I could ever hope for is a 12.5″ biceps and a 10″ forearm (plateauing with <10% body fat), and that's assuming if I train harder than most people for the next few years.

Source: http://www.weightrainer.net/plateau.html

While I've learned to accept the reality that there's not much I can do about it, it's still discouraging to know that I will still end up looking skinnier (for my height) than most average guys who probably don't even train much. What's your opinion about this with regards to being a masculine man and to attract women in general?

• Tim
      August 5, 2014 at 6:18 pm — Reply

P.S. honest opinion only. No need to sugarcoat anything.

• August 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm — Reply

I think you’re only thinking about it in one way…

If you’re doing the whole cold approaching strangers thing, then yes being more masculine will help.

Social circle is different because it gives you more wiggle room if you are not particularly masculine or good looking… you can get girls that way too.

4. cam..
    August 6, 2014 at 5:09 am — Reply

About 3 weeks ago, i was working out at the gym when this random man came up to me and said “That’s a nice haircut, i’m new in town.. where can i get my hair cut”.. We chat for a little bit.. He mentions that he owns a “little construction agency” in DC. We exchange contact info and meet up a few times over the weeks. He was pretty chill and actually got pretty tight.

I still had this feeling in the back of my head like.. why is this old (31 year old) dude still hitting me up (21 years). WHAT DOES HE SEE IN ME?!

This past weekend he invited me to NYC to hang out with his friends and party/drink the weekend away. We drive up to Manhattan and hit up the Stanford Hotel. Turns out, my new friend is good friends with the owner of Marriott and a bunch of NYC Google Execs. His “little agency” in DC was in fact a major construction company that built the house i live in MD.. I’m over there thinking .. WHAT DOES HE SEE IN ME?!

Anyway, i got back home after a few days and get online. First thing i see is this article. It mall makes sense now. like you said, HE SEE’S POTENTIAL ..and perhaps its also the party/fun vibe i give off..

SONNY, HOW TO I LEVERAGE SUCH CONNECTIONS WITHOUT COMING OFF TOO PUSHY??? As it is, i don’t have anything tangible i can offer yet..

*** He invites me out alot.. I offer to put up for drinks whenever i can but he insists that “he got me”. Dude’s already invited me to LA for labor day weekend.. shit cray!

• August 7, 2014 at 3:35 am — Reply

Just don’t hit them up all the time.

Also, be willing to help out with little shit.

Ex. Back when I first moved to Austin, I was always willing to help out those top dawgs that now make up my social circle.

Someone needed me to help work on a boat engine… I was there to help out.
      Someone needed me to help them move… I was there to help out.

Just develop a reputation as someone who helps others out or is at least willing to try.

• cam..
        August 8, 2014 at 12:53 am — Reply

Bet. Ill do just that.

Btw.. out of curiosity.. how’d you get good at mechanical work (fixing boat engines)? A few years back got into tricking/modifying regular cars and turning some them into sick whips!… whats your story?

• August 8, 2014 at 5:23 am — Reply

MY uncle has been a mechanic/owned shops for nearly 30 years.

I don’t even consider myself “good” really. I know maybe just a little bit more than average I’m guessing.

ex. I couldn’t build you a transmission from scratch.

5. GETTING THERE
    August 9, 2014 at 3:57 am — Reply

This is a great installment in your series. I can definitely recall times in my life where I’ve had people see potential in me and took me under their wing but I always seemed to fuck it up in some way. Whenever someone of status/power starts reaching out to me, I feel like I’m walking on eggshells, worried that I’ll say something dumb and lose the perceived potential. Any thoughts or advice on this?

• August 10, 2014 at 5:42 pm — Reply

It’s true that you need to sort of step on eggshells in the beginning… especially when you are still learning about that person or persons.

You have to hold back a little bit so that you what is/is not appropriate for you to say/do.

So the game plan is to feel out the situation.

• GETTING THERE
        August 11, 2014 at 3:30 am — Reply

Cool, thanks.

6. […] That’s the easiest way to associate with powerful people. […]

7. […] want friends? It’s an exponential process. Your first line of friends is your immediate social circle. They […]