The Competitive Spirit

The Odessa Tapes: Part I (Create Your Own Law Code)

Standards… Do you have any?

For the next 3 weeks, I am staying in Odessa, Texas. Odessa is a completely different world (especially for a native New Yorker). It’s way out in the Wild Wild West (about 6 hours west of Austin)… this is real Texas.

I’m really at peace out here (when I’m not working). It’s a small city in the middle of nowhere. There are very few distractions and the world has a certain calmness here that I have not felt in a very long time. Life is simple out here.

I thought it would be fun to do a series of podcasts while my mind is ultra-clear. These podcasts will be completely random. They will span numerous topics and as always, include personal examples.

This first podcast in The Odessa Tapes series is on why you should create your own law code (and how you do it).

Life is too easy in today’s world.

You know what will happen if you do not have a set of guidelines to hold yourself accountable to?… Nothing. Nothing bad will happen.

You will be able to float through life and be okay. You will be able to fit in and pretty much be just like everybody else.

Of course, nothing good will happen either. The reason has to do with the fact that good things “happen” to those who hold themselves to a higher standard.

True competitors who are obsessed with winning hold themselves to a higher standard. They live for that CONTROL.

Winning at anything in life requires THE COMPETITIVE SPIRIT. The way you put the odds in your favor is by adhering to a narrow road. This narrow road will be littered with temptations, distractions, and self-doubt along the way.

But those demons are no match for your competitive spirit.

Your competitive spirit will protect you and make sure that you stay on your path. That spirit inside you is what will naturally guide you toward developing your own unique law code.

A unique law code forces you to hold yourself accountable. It helps keep that path narrow for your long journey through life. It significantly puts the odds in your favor to win the game of life for 2 reasons:

1) The competition (other men) rarely sits down and comes up with actual self-imposed laws to abide by. They just wing it and hope for the best. They wait for Lady Luck to approach them. If you have self-imposed laws, you have a significant edge over the competition.

2) By placing constraints on your life, you are hardening yourself into a man of iron character. You will be tempted to break your own laws. You will hit roadblocks where that drive seems to die down. Both are inevitable. Consistent adherence to your laws and an unwillingness to break shows resolve. You will embody strength and honor.

Gentleman, life is too easy in 2014. This “I want it now” Generation is a generation where weakness is overlooked or worse… praised.

The life of a man is not meant to be easy. It’s a struggle. It may not be “live in the wilderness hopefully I kill something for food” struggle. But it is a time when you must place evolutionary constraints upon yourself if you want to become something more than ordinary… extraordinary.

The extraordinary does not come to those who melt away day by day… wondering why life does not throw them a bone.

It comes to those who strive for total control. And it all starts with creating your own law code.

Still interested? Click play to hear me elaborate on how you can create your own law code that governs the major areas of your life (Bodybuilding/Nutrition, Money, Women, and more). I also run through my own personal examples from my own law code.

If you want to download the podcast to your device click here. To stream the podcast just click the “play” button shaped like an arrow.

The Power of the New York Brand

The Odessa Tapes: Part II (How to Overcome a Painful Childhood)

1. […] The Odessa Tapes: Part I (Create Your Own Law Code) […]

2. July 15, 2014 at 12:04 am — Reply

I interviewed at Odessa for a position at the hospital. I am also from NY except I am from upstate and by the time the day was done and I had to fly back to NY, I was dizzy because Odessa was so flat compared to Binghamton. I missed the hills and green. Hope to hear the rest of the this podcast soon.

• July 15, 2014 at 10:41 pm — Reply

Odessa is cool. I really like it here because it is so different for me.

3. Florian
    July 15, 2014 at 3:16 am — Reply

This was great – since I am just in the process of updating my goals. I want to focus on Social Life, Health/Fitness and Money/Career – which were basically the categories you laid out.

I have also been inspired by the following speech:

Here is my first try in coming up with my own laws –

Mentality: Don’t ever ring the bell.
    Don’t ever quit.

Lifestyle: Always make your bed.
    My whole life is based on habits. Making the bed is the first of these habits and gets me started off the right way. Everything else follows from there.

Money: Your money is your army, and it fights for your freedom.
    Long-term financial freedom is more important than instant gratification now.
    I am saving as much of my money now as I can. And besides, I can buy books, movies, DVDs, ANTIBIOTICS (!) for not more than $25. I am already rich in material possessions – next step is becoming free and ultimately work for myself.

Bodybuilding and nutrition: mens sana in copore sano – a healthy mind in a healthy body. I go with the classic here.

People: be the rock people can hold on to. Always figure out how you can provide value to others, and good things will come your way.

Girls: buckle up and enjoy the ride. I am not looking for a long-term girlfriend until I have financial freedom and a strong body. Until then, I welcome any girl who wants to join part of the way with me. No strings attached right now.

I may adjust these laws the more I proceed in my journey, but right now they are good enough to get me started.

• July 15, 2014 at 10:40 pm — Reply

Good stuff man. Glad to see you wrote your laws out. You should put them on a small piece of paper and put it in your wallet so you always have them.

4. rad
    July 15, 2014 at 5:13 am — Reply

Life changing. Way to be man. You are a true inspiration.

• July 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm — Reply

Thanks man. You guys reading/commenting are my inspiration.

• rad
        July 16, 2014 at 5:36 am — Reply

If there was a write up at the end that covered your examples and other important tidbits it would be extremely helpful when reviewing.

5. Slayer
    July 15, 2014 at 5:25 am — Reply

Right on, great to have you back Sonny. Truth be told I have always upheld myself to a higher standard and equipped with above average self discipline.

For one reason or another, something went wrong about a year ago, and I tried adapting some ill-fitting buddhist / Eckart Tolle bullshit that to this day I don’t understand. Something along the lines of “not giving a shit about anything”. I had convinced myself somewhere along the road that life was easier that way and I would naturally thrive and succeed (or at least be “at peace” internally, free from the outside world…. blahh)

Long story short, I began to isolate myself and became deeply depressed and stuck in my head to the point of insanity. Toughest time of my life – I was lost bro.
    But I do not regret that experience at all. The result of breaking out of that funk is that I have incredible emotional stability and a more focused personality. I got my shit together more than 99 percent of people I know.

Anyways, it helped me realize what kind of life I wanted to have. None of that passive hippie bullshit. To me it’s about being the classiest and most badass person I can be… and having MULTI DIMENSIONALITY (the most straight up truth spittin article I have ever read, good shit).

Long fucking comment, just gotta say you ain’t wasting no time putting this shit together. You’ll get me reading every single post brotha.

• July 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm — Reply

Yea that Eckart Tolle shit is out there… a lot of mental masturbation that doesn’t solve problems.
      There’s definitely a mental aspect to all this… I think the solution is to keep it simple and limit distractions/useless technology.
      The other part is to get what you physically want in life… money, girls, friends, ideal physique… and ultimately purpose.

The easiest way to do that is to have an actual game plan on how you will get what you want.

Thanks for the comment.

6. milun
    July 15, 2014 at 8:11 am — Reply

Lots of value in that podcast. It almost feels like a little summary of the SBS site so far… Since you’re doing podcasts now I’m curious, will you still be doing videos?

• July 15, 2014 at 10:27 pm — Reply

Thanks dude. Yea I’m still going to do the videos.

7. ChrisTHEGREEK
    July 15, 2014 at 3:30 pm — Reply

One of my good friends lives in Odessa, Texas. Great town from what I hear. When I was in Texas, a bunch of friends and I visited some cities there that resembled the “wild west” to me. It’s a different world in the south. We hit up Abilene, Lubbock, Terrell, Dallas, Fort Worth and few others. Been to any of those ?

• July 15, 2014 at 10:27 pm — Reply

Yes, I briefly worked in Dallas last fall. Dallas is cool. Very attractive women there.

8. XAvi
    July 15, 2014 at 4:39 pm — Reply

Yo Sonny could you show us some superior movements for the shoulders? The superior movements for the triceps are really paying off.

• July 15, 2014 at 10:26 pm — Reply

Good to hear. Yes, I will eventually cover all of the bodyparts. Shoulders would be a good one since my advice definitely strays from the norm.

9. Conor
    July 16, 2014 at 7:08 pm — Reply

“Drop the gate”
    Love that slogan man. Great podcast too, much more motivational than the “feminists and women suck” that seems to be the backbone of the ‘manosphere.’ Keep it up

• July 16, 2014 at 11:13 pm — Reply

Yea man. The whole idea of being a man is taking control… not blaming others for the source of the world’s problems.

10. Smooth Operator
    July 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm — Reply

Hey Sonny, I listened to you pod cast 3 times and wrote down my own law code.

1 -[b] MIND[/b] – Be strong, be disciplined, be accountable. Love myself, live on the edge, face my fear, don’t make excuses, never quit.
    2 -[b] LIFE STYLE[/b] – Stay organized, enjoy the moment, appreciate the beautify in this world.
    3 – [b]MONEY[/b] – Invest wisely, avoid greed, keep my skills sharp, build/achieve.
    4 – [b]BODY BUILDING & NUTRITION[/b] – Stay healthy, balanced muscular development, improve explosiveness, posture, avoid toxic food for my body.
    5 – [b]PEOPLE[/b] – Don’t judge, appreciate people. Seek to connect. Respect myself, respect others. Be a leader. Be positive. Be authentic.
    6 – [b]WOMEN[/b] – Communicate, love and appreciate women. Put myself first. Set clear boundary from the beginning. Lead and protect.

Even though I am almost twice you age, I felt most of your ideas are well thought out and not some testosterone fuel youthful mantra. I am sure you know this better than I do – keep those muscles balances, well supported. All it takes is one injury, one surgery to to take away all you gains.

I know you are super busy, but take a look at my journal.

Love the podcast/youtube format.

• July 17, 2014 at 11:59 pm — Reply

Cool man. This is all really solid stuff. PM me

11. sanix
    July 17, 2014 at 3:15 pm — Reply

Yo man stopped by to say that the series on social success are probalbly the best ive read . Funny that there are hundreds of sites and myriad of books but everyone completely missed such a gigantic topic.
    relating successfully with fellow humans
    i even remember that ny timee bestseller shit on people skills ive read trust me none talked real like you. Every where bs on this topic.

• July 18, 2014 at 12:02 am — Reply

Thanks dude. Yea because it’s an underrated topic especially when it comes to setting up your foundation for a dating life… you need social skills.

A lot of guys get taking in my the PUA scam about GAME being this holy grail on getting women… it’s not.

In fact, the guys I have interacted with throughout my life who have actually had successful dating lives and done whatever they wanted in that area have a few things in common:

They are all strong/masculine.
      They never went anywhere near PUA shit.
      They all have excellent social skills/social savviness.

12. sebastian
    July 17, 2014 at 11:51 pm — Reply

Thank you brother, some eye opening info 🙂
    quick question, when will you be telling us how you got lean?
    thanks man.

• July 18, 2014 at 12:03 am — Reply

Eventually. I got so much shit in the pipeline. That and work… There’s 24 hrs in a day. I probably need 30 haha

13. cAM
    July 22, 2014 at 4:58 am — Reply

First of all.. Im feeling this new design for the site. You’ve kept it simple and still fresh. Big ups!

I’m still coming up with a Code to go by and ill post it once i’m done.

As a matter of fact I was listening to K Camp’s new mixtape and he said; “make these bitches break their neck.. yet demand their respect”. Kinda like what you’re saying.. “be a ten & set boundaries” lol

I really admire the fact that way you’ve setup your law code and not made girls/game a huge priority. Instead you did it like a man should.. Purpose first.

Thanks for this valuable post Sonny!

• July 22, 2014 at 10:41 pm — Reply

Thanks dude. Yea once you got purpose… you develop magnetism.

Once you get that the Universe tends to work in your favor.

14. […] I have previously written about the importance of establishing your own law code. […]

15. […] hurry so I will make this one fast. I have previously written about the importance of establishing your own law code. Today, I just wanted to briefly show you the code that governs one of the most idolized […]

16. […] is the one simple trick. That should be integrated into your financial law code. Carry cash. Pay cash. Keep your money […]